4 out of 10 Danes are expected to buy their Christmas presents online this year
First of all excuse me for talking Christmas this early, but in Denmark some of the shops has already been talking Christmas for the last 14 days, so like it or not – its here….
Yesterday Danish Ecommerce expert Peter Grønne(partner at Dwarf) was telling about Danish Christmas shopping on the Danish National Television (DR).
This is some numbers and trends
- Last December (2011) the value of ecommerce by Danish households was DKK 5.000.000.000.
- This December (2012) it’s expected to be between DKK 8.000.000.000 and 9.000.000.000.
- 4 out of 10 Danes are expected to buy their Christmas presents online this year – could be both on local (Danish) or international websites.
- Research by the company Dwarf shows that there’s usually a saving in the size of 25-27% when buying online.
- And sometimes the saving by shopping outside Denmark can be up to 45%.
- Shopping (for Danes and other EU citizens) outside European Union can be expensive because of import taxes and local sales tax, whereas nothing extra is applied inside EU.
- Even though there’s a lot of talk about shopping cheaper online only 40% of the decision is based on price! The other 60% is shopping online based on convenience, free shipping, free gift wrapping, easy and good return policy if needed, ect..
- 10% of Christmas presents will be returned.
In Denmark Peter Grønne is furthermore expecting 50% of all shopping to take place online before 2020 – All shopping meaning not only buying Christmas presents, but all kind of products all year long.
This is really interesting numbers and I personally do most of my Christmas presents shopping online, just like I buy my CDs there (yes, I do still buy CDs).